Thursday, February 12, 2009

Desmond's Paw

Yesterday evening my coworker Shannon Szwarc and I planned to sit on my front porch and enjoy a beer or two after work in honor of his birthday ... about a week late. I no sooner walked through door when one my cats, Desmond, let out a looooooonnnng moaning howl! Startled, I dropped my bags and found him in the kitchen with his claw caught in the screen door. What's the problem? Then I saw that the window had come down and smashed his paw - which was still pinned by the window. AAAAHHH! No idea how long he had been there. All he could do was stare back at me over his shoulder ... with his big beautiful eyes.

Desmond's two outer toes were seriously crimped. I had visions of his little bones being just crushed. But he was no longer howling, nor moaning, nor crying. He was quiet and just rested on my shoulder. So I wrapped him in a blanket, and off to the emergency vet clinic we went.


The good news is - no broken bones. But the poor guy has one seriously swollen foot. It was worse in the morning, compared with the photo that I took after we got home. I tried to ice it to relieve the swelling. Ever try to ice a cat's paw? Good Luck. It worked for a moment, then no go. So he'll spend the next few days limping and lounging.

Have a sweet Valentine's Day,
Robin

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation